1st April, 2021, Bhubaneswar
The ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubaneswar, Odisha celebrated its “34th Annual Day” at its Kausalyaganga Campus, Bhubaneswar today.
The Chief Guest, Shri Tage Taki, Minister for Fisheries, Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Veterinary and Dairy Department, Arunachal Pradesh applauded the Institute for establishing an Aquaculture Technology Park at Sonajuli. He stressed that the Park would provide an exposure to advanced aquaculture technologies in the remote state. Shri Taki emphasized that an Aquaculture Field School has also been opened in the farm of Tana Nekam Tara, a progressive farmer to facilitate the horizontal technology transfer among the other fish farmers and rural youths. The Minister also conferred the ICAR-CIFA Annual Awards - 2020.
Shri Taki and Shri P.K. Bisoi, Secretary, Department of Posts and Chairperson, Postal Services Board, New Delhi released 12 Philatelic Picture Post Cards along with a Special Cachet Cancellation to mark the occasion. The Picture Post Cards with bilingual description of freshwater fish species’ importance will go a long way in creating awareness among the farmers.
Dr. Bimal Prasanna Mohanty, ADG (Inland Fisheries), ICAR appreciated the Institute for making a significant progress in research and development front.
Dr. P. Pravin, ADG (Marine Fisheries), ICAR stated about the new Regional Research Station at Bhatinda, Punjab, improvement in farm sector, expansion in outreach activities, etc., by the Institute. He urged the scientists to work committed and make Indian aquaculture more resilient.
The dignitaries also released a Booklet entitled “Laboratory Manual on soil and water quality analysis for freshwater aquaculture” along with inaugurating the “Outdoor Gymnasium” during the occasion.
Earlier, in his welcome address, Dr. S.K. Swain, Director, ICAR-CIFA highlighted the Institute’s role in developing farm-worthy technologies and hand holding the state line departments in promoting scientific aquaculture.
- Commercialized CIFA-Carp Starter, CIFA-Carp Grower, Nanoplus@CIFA, Fish Hydrolysate and CIFA-GI SCAMPI.
- Developed “Strategies for Increasing Freshwater Aquaculture Production in India” under PMMSY.
- Launched dedicated WhatsApp and email helpline (WhatsApp No 7790007797 & ask.cifa [at] icar.gov.in).
- Digital Outreach Centre (DOC) established to develop online learning modules.
- Ten Aquaculture Field Schools were established in West Bengal, Odisha and Arunachal Pradesh to promote farmer to farmer extension.
- Hindi Patrika (NEELITIMA) bagged 1st Prize for Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Hindi Patrika Puruskar.
- Over five thousand persons benefitted from virtual training programmes.
The Representatives of ICAR-CIWA; ICAR-CHES Bhubaneswar; NFDB & ICAR-CIFA’s retired employees also registered their participation in the function.
(Source: ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubaneswar, Odisha)