Pusa Krishi Vigyan Mela 2019 on the theme “Krishi Vikas: Innovative Technologies” was organised at the IARI Mela Ground from 5th to 7th March, 2019. Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra, Secretary (DARE) & DG (ICAR) inaugurated the Mela on 5th March 2019. In his inaugural address, Dr. Mohapatra applauded the institute’s efforts of organizing such knowledge gaining event for the agricultural and farming community.
Shri Sushil Kumar, Additional Secretary (DARE) & Secretary (ICAR); Shri Bimbadhar Pradhan, Additional Secretary & Financial Advisor (DARE/ICAR); Dr. A. K. Singh, DDG (Horticultural Science); Dr. J. K. Jena, DDG (Fisheries Science); Dr. J. P. Sharma, Joint Director (Extension), ICAR-IARI and Dr. S. P. Kimothi, ADG (TC) also marked their presence and spoke on the occasion. Dr. A. K. Singh, Director, IARI welcomed the gathering and detailed the events to be taken up along with IARI achievements in especially in developing popular basmati variety PB 1121, wheat variety HD 2967 etc.
Thirty one (31) awardees including farmers and scientists in different categories were also felicitated with ICAR Awards during the inaugural session.
On the second day of Mela, Shri Radha Mohan Singh, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare visited the Mela. He visited 1 acre IFS model and other live demonstrations exhibited on the Mela ground and interacted with farmers and scientists.
On the last day of Mela, Innovative Farmers Meet was organized in which selected Innovative Farmers (32) and Fellow Farmers (5) shared their rich experiences and innovations practised by them.
Dr. Ramesh Chand, Member, NITI Ayog was the Chief Guest of the valedictory session. The valedictory session was chaired by Dr Trilochan Mohapatra, Secretary DARE and DG, ICAR. Other dignitaries present on the dais were Shri. Sanjay Agarwal, Secretary DAC&FW; Dr. A. K. Srivastava, Chairman (ASRB); Dr. K. V. Prabhu, Chairperson, PPVFRA; Dr. A. K. Singh, DDG, Agricultural Extension and Director, IARI; Dr. J. P. Sharma, Joint Director (Ext); Dr. A. K. Singh, Joint Director (Res), awardee farmers Col. Subhash Deswal and Smt. Gauripriya Mohapatra.
Dr. Ramesh Chand stressed on the need of marketing of the surplus produce and the implementation of new agricultural policy for realization of better income for the farmers. Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra, Secretary, DARE & Director General, ICAR in his presidential address congratulated all the awardee farmers and requested motivate the fellow farmers present at the fair. Shri Sanjay Agarwal, Secretary, DAC&FW reiterated the pivotal role of new and innovative farm technologies in doubling income of farmers and assured support from DAC&FW to the farmers under PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana.
Highlights of Pusa Krishi Vigyan Mela 2019
- Total 170 stalls were put up by ICAR Institutes, other public and private organizations and farm entrepreneurs across the country.
- About 30000 farmers from across the country including 5000 associated with IARI outreach activities visited the mela.
- Kisan Gosthi was organised on all three days on the themes – Improved technologies for addressing agrarian challenges, Innovations in secondary agriculture for enhancing income of farmers and Linking farmers to market.
- Various government schemes were also discussed in the Kisan Gosthi for the benefit of the farmers.
- Padam Shri awardee farmers, Shri. Kanwal Singh Chauhan, Shri. Bharat Bhushan Tyagi, Shri. Sultan Singh and Shri. R. S. Verma, expressed their views and motivated farmers.
- Farmers visited live demonstrations on improved crop varieties, high density orchard, vegetables, IFS Models (1 hectare and 1 acre model) etc.
- Seeds sold worth Rs. 48.14 lakhs and Biofertilizers sold of Rs. 1.00 lakh
- Extension literatures and several publications were released including MGMG-A flagship programme of ICAR: Status, Impact and Implications; Krishi Panchang: Varshik Krishi Karya Evam Krishi Ki Unnat Takniki; Synergizing Institutional Partnership for Enhanced Technology Outreach and Production System Efficiency: Experience of Collaborative Extension Programme; etc.